Thursday, January 20, 2011

Sargeist - Let the Devil in (2010)







                I visited Moribund Records one day and saw their promotion for this album. I will tell you in all honesty, it was ridiculous. They could not have praised this album more or exemplified how important it would be to the entire metal scene and the human race. I really liked “Disciple of the Heinous Path”; six long tracks, raw black mysterious satanic music. Truly underrated and nowhere near as well-known as it should be. When I picked up “Let the Devil In” I was expecting roughly the same thing. I was wrong, and I am glad I was.
               
                       No intro! I love that! There are many cases where an intro to the album sets the mood and creates a terrifically terrifying nightmare atmosphere of death and doom, but where so much black metal consists of roaring waves of cold blasting hatred all of the time, fuck intros.
                 
                       There are 10 songs of terror, darkness, satanic devotion, and mysterious rites. The album favors good production and a faster tempo as opposed to “Disciple of the Heinous Path” which is much more raw and slower. I really love how Sargeist changed their style with this album. There are way too many bands playing complete garbage black metal. There are too many bands that say “Fuck Jesus!” with sonic blast beats and ass-ripping guitar riffs all recorded on an 1880’s phonograph! Sargeist brings the speed, good quality, and a love for Satan. That is genius. That is what I love about Emperor’s song “ Inno a Satana”. Forget songs about hatred towards a God who is trying to control your life and will send you to hell if you don’t kiss his ass, and try songs about pure unconditional love for a being of absolute evil. That is piss out your tits scary.
                 
                Some may argue that this album is nothing special, and in fact sounds how any black metal album should sound. I have already stated how I feel about so much of the shit that is released as black metal. That is why I feel this is so much above anything out there. This is what a great black metal album sounds like, harsh vocals, droning guitars, and awesome drums. I hope Sargeist gains more recognition from this album. Moribund Records was not dicking around when they spoke so highly of this album.
              
                This album takes you into the blackest dungeons, into the mysteries of the unknown, where the followers of hell sharpen their horns.  Black castles of doom appear in the moonlight but only briefly, clouds block all light and you feel a seething devotion rise inside of you, the Master calls you forth to the ritual, Let the Devil in!

No comments:

Post a Comment